Followers

Sunday, February 5, 2012

[171] Mark Tobin Moore - USA


OM.2012.067 - Mark Tobin Moore - USA - Keep Up Your Guard - 24 1/4 x 8 x 2 1/4 inches - 2006 - mixed media assemblage with acrylic paint, wood glue, found objects, and magazine photographs on a recycled piece of wood from a demolished house. Framed with salvaged interior trim molding.

http://www.marktobinmoore.com/

My collage or assemblage making process usually begins as a response
to found images or materials I happen to come across, or items I have
saved, sometimes for decades. Intuition and maturity are also factors in my
process. Since I depend so much on symbolism for the content in my work,
sometimes it takes years for me to see the expressive potential of something
I threw into a box or filed away in my image morgue.

In this case, though, with Keep Up Your Guard, the materials came
immediately during a visit to the local Habitat for Humanity ReStore.
I had one of those lucky days where the piece seemed to come together as
I picked through one hardware bin after another. I have to say this is a fun
process, and one I always enjoy. I had some old magazines laying around
on my work tables, and as I looked through them for just the right images to
include a couple emerged that after some editing worked perfectly.

I enjoyed making this piece especially since the wood and nails came from
an old demolished house in the city. Also, this process was really positive
for me because I was not only able to express in a really healthy way some
personal concerns I was having at that time, but I was able also to preserve a
part of history that might otherwise have been burned or buried in a landfill.

No comments:

Post a Comment